Right now I am stuck in
Natitingou. I am on my way back from COS medical, in which the doctors
basically check up on me to make sure I have any and all issues dealt with
before they release me into the states. I was worried about money, since If I don’t get it now, I
have to come back once again to Natitingou. So I was delighted Friday night to
receive a text saying that the money was deposited into my account. But, I
arrive at the bank, and the doors are shut. I ask the guard, and he tells me it
is Korite, or the end of Ramadan. “But that’s not until Monday,” I point out.
“Yes, Monday is a holiday. But the
bank isn’t open today either.”
I inform the guard that I feel
this is ridiculous (though he obviously had no part in the decision-making and can
do even less about it), and walk away. I then decide just to go back to Kerou
in these fancy new taxi they have, which is a daily ride, and much more
comfortable than other taxis and especially zems. So I call up the taxi, to
make a reservation. “Oh, I’m not traveling tomorrow,” he says. “It’s a holiday
on Monday, so I just want to rest tomorrow (Sunday)” Sigh. I know, yes people
should have breaks. But the bank already has the weekends off every week,
unlike most people in Benin, and perhaps the taxi company should also have more
than one driver doing a daily route? Just a thought.
Anyway, I wanted to take the
time to reflect a little on my Peace Corps Service. Now that it is officially
ending in about a month, I wanted to look back on my successes, failures,
lessons learned, etc.
To start with successes: hands
down, my biggest success was the creation of a Village Savings and Loans
Association, and the creation of an extensive accounting system for them. I spent
hours upon hours working on, modifying, improving, etc the spreadsheets.
Originally hand-drawing line after line into a paper notebook, I realized this
was a not sustainable practices; the artisans would never take the time to do
this all themselves! So I created a printed version, where the groups can keep
blank sheets to copy every year for their accounting book. I have updated this
version multiple times as we’ve run into newer problems, and I’ve changed the
sheets to make them clearer and more user-friendly. Most recently I created a
spreadsheet where they can verify all the totals on a regular basis, and
ultimately calculate the amount to be shared.
Credit is such an important part
of the modern economy. No one can really grow and evolve without it. But on the
other hand, it can have high interest rates and fees, which can be crippling to
small-time farmers and entrepreneurs. This is why I love the VSLAs so much.
Yes, the loans require fees, but at the end of the year, ideally each person
gets this money back, provided they’ve also saved money at the same rate as
other group members.
I’ve had quite a number of
failures. The most disappointing one for me was the chicken-raising operation
never getting off the ground. Even if they mayor’s office hadn’t come in and
steam-rollered those plans (then pretended like they were back on board for a
few days, and then never brought it up again), I’m just not sure it would have
worked. It required a huge investment from local farmers, who don’t necessarily
have that money. Even if they did hand over the cash as soon as they sold some
of their cash crops, that might mean that their family goes hungry for a bit
somewhere later down the line. I think, maybe if I had more time and more
structural support, it would have been a huge, wonderful, project which allowed
twenty individuals to increase their incomes dramatically as well as increase
the protein available in the whole community.
I sometimes wonder if it might
have been better never to have done the irrigation project. I had this
magnificent plan where I quickly put out this irrigation project, turned in the
completion report, and immediately submitted the chicken-raising grant. But the
irrigation project was delayed. By me being stuck in Cotonou, by the government
shutdown, by Hubert’s lack of cooperation, my own inadequacies, and so forth. And
in the end, this project…well I’d say it’s not been an entire failure, but it
got pretty darn close.
So what if I had just skipped
all that, and already gotten the grant for the chicken-raising before the mayor’s
office came in to stomp on my plans? What if, inspired by the appearance of
actual funds, the group members manage to scrounge up their own contributions,
and the project takes off? Who knows, maybe this project would have been
amazing. Maybe it would have hit more snags than anything else, and failed more
miserably than any other thing I tried (and an expensive failure at that!)
Perhaps it’s stupid to think
about the “what-ifs”. I still am glad that I did the irrigation project on some
levels. I think I made a huge mistake by designing it around the idea that it
would hook up to a water tower. In retrospect, of course that was a terrible
idea! No farmer even in the states would hook up to the town water supply. Everyone
has their own wells. I just wasn’t thinking logically. In my mind, I guess it
made sense because there was no other water supply available. There is no
stream or lake nearby this new location, and the water line ran right through
it! When I think of wells that could work with irrigation, I think of
American-style wells, and the only ones here are the traditional
hole-in-the-ground, pull-up-a-bucket kinds. I also had no one here tell me it
was a bad idea, even my community partners who are supposed to be experts on
agriculture. Everyone just did what occurred to me. I think it’s part of the
culture, to never disagree with someone—especially someone giving you money—so Hubert
made promises that he would totally make sure the mayor’s office had a deal
with the women, etc. While at the same time, (looking back, I realize this)
working with the mayor’s office to get a well in the exact same spot. I’m
betting he even planned on hooking up the well to my irrigation system the
whole time, using a gas-powered pump. But why couldn’t he had just said that
from the beginning?
I know I was in a rush to get
this project done. Not only because of the second Food Security project I wanted
to do, but also because of the small window of time in which the ground is
actually okay to dig and lay these systems. If I had just taken a second to
breathe, maybe the well-idea would have been suggested. I would have realized
that was a way better option than having to pay for town water. I probably
would have had to make sure the mayor’s office (or another NGO) would
contribute the well, because there was not enough left in the budget for a well
also. But it could have gone so much smoother.
In conclusion COMMUNICATION.
Sure, I can blame it on the culture here, that telling people “no” isn’t a
thing. But also, I’m sure it has a lot to do with NGOs that come in and have
certain goals, and specific technologies/practices they want to impose, and thus
are not always willing to listen to local suggestions. So maybe at some point
locals just learned to shut up and do whatever the people handing out the money
said was the best based on their INFALLIBLE LOGIC. Maybe I shouldn’t have
brushed aside so easily my doubts about the feasibility of hooking up to the
water tower. Asked Hubert, or other partners more questions, looked for other
possible solutions, etc.
At least I have plenty of
lessons learned. I have the irrigation project, which I tried to throw
haphazardly together, alongside my slow and plodding (but ultimately very successful)
progress with my Savings and Loans Association. Then, of course, there is the School
Improvement program. I have been way less involved in its implementation, but I
think it is one of the better things I’ve done. It was entirely
community-driven, organized mostly by a very motivated individual. It helps
very rural, very poor children, and is sustainable (hypothetically).
The most important lessons I have
learned is consistency and dedication. I have tried to throw together some
projects, but had them broken up by my absences or lack of interpreter or
simply the rain. Getting people motivated the first time is hard. The second,
third, whatever times are even harder. I have found this when I tried to start
a literacy or financial class, but would have to take a two week break. Getting
people to come back after the two weeks was always difficult. Furthermore, it’s
harder for people to remember when there is too much time in between. One small
endeavor I undertook with Anna was accounting for illiterates. It might have
worked out much better if I had been able to go to the groups every single week
and teach them, but I wasn’t. I had Peace Corps trainings to go to, or the
interpreter was only allowed to visit groups once a month. On days that I was able to show up (with the
interpreter begrudgingly supplied by the mayor’s office), many of the women weren’t
there. It had been too long since the previous lesson, so they had forgotten,
or maybe they weren’t even at the previous lesson. I wish I had more time, less
illness, and more support. But don’t we all?
In the end, I’m proud of what I’ve
done. There are opportunities that were missed for a plethora of reasons. But I’m
hoping that my next step in life will lead me to make use of these lessons that
I’ve learned and apply this to my future work in aiding developing communities.
No comments:
Post a Comment