Sunday, 9 December 2012
I must share a story from
yesterday. It will most certainly give you a chance to laugh.
So I have to explain the way my
house is set up. My main room and hallway (that leads past my [bed]rooms and to
the back private outdoor area) have wooden ceilings; however my two rooms do
not. This means that if I close the two doors to the small rooms, a creature
can go up into the attic area, and go back and forth between my storage-room
and bedroom, but cannot get into my main room. It also, then, cannot leave my
house, because the only doors to the outside are located in my main room and at
the end of my hallway.
So after washing my dishes and
showering last night I came back into my house to discover that a bat had flown
in. Bats are really terrifying creatures, just because they swoop about
unpredictably. This one happened to have made its way into my small-rooms
section, and was flying back and forth over the hallway, above the ceiling. I
didn’t know what to do, but obviously I wanted it out. So I decided to open up my back door, hoping it would just fly
out on it’s own accord. All this achieved, however, was to invite a second bat
to swoop in.
So I am my main room, and the
second bat is flying all around above me. I flatten myself on the floor, not
knowing what to do but trying to avoid it at all costs. And I reason that since
it is flying, the safest place for me is the ground. It decides to fly around
in an x-pattern, and to me it appears that it swoops down towards me getting
closer every time. Each time it comes near, I offer up a little scream, and a
string of profanities, so my neighbors must think I am absolutely crazy.
Finally the second bat decides to
fly out of my house. I crawl over to the back door, because don’t forget the
first bat is still there. And I don’t want that to fly out and run into me, or
whatever. I close the back door. Then I decide to close the doors to my small
rooms, thinking, “You know what, I never wanted to sleep in my bed anyway. Or
change my clothes. Or whatever else, it’s cool.” But then I realize that’s not
true. So I call my carpenter, who had actually been hanging out with me earlier
this day. I partially blame him for this problem, because if he had actually
finished my screen doors, the bats couldn’t get in. So I don’t feel bad
bothering him. So he comes over, and I shove him into my extra room and shut
the door behind him. I hear a lot of various noises, and I think something
productive must be happening. Finally, he opens the door and says, “Shannon, I
just can’t find it anywhere. I don’t think there’s one here.”
I insist that there is, and in
fact had seen it when I shoved him in the room the first time. But maybe it had
gone over more to the other room, because of the open ceiling. So he goes over
there, and with a lot of noise, doesn’t find it. I come in and look at my
rooms, which have been completely torn apart. My suitcases, my bed, my trunk,
and so on have been moved. I look up at the inside of the roof, and the bat is
just chilling tranquilly in the rafters. I point directly at it, and say,
“There it is!!!”
At this point we realize that he
thought I was talking about a mouse, which in French is “souris”. Where was
what I really was talking about, obviously, was the bat, which in French is
“chauve-souris,” or literally “bald-mouse.” He had been looking all around on
the floor for a mouse while the bat had been flitting overhead.
However, now that I’ve pointed
this out to him, I run back out of the room, and leave him to deal with the
bat. I hear an unholy amount of clamoring, and then realize that this man is
definitely crawling around in the rafters of my house. I’m also not sure how he
got up there, because my walls are about 10 feet high or so, just straight
cement. Also, I am worried that he is just going to fall through the ceiling,
like my dad—or at least my dad’s leg—did once at our house. After a lot more
noise, he finally emerges triumphantly with this bat that he had trapped and
killed using only the bottom part of a broom and his bare hands. He also
pointed out that I had worried unnecessarily about my ceiling, since he is, in
fact, a carpenter, and therefore knows very well where he could step, etc. He
is my new hero!
And speaking of despicable
creatures, I had a guy who came into my work yesterday, and after 5 minutes of
talking at me, told me loved me, then got mad at me when I told him I didn’t
want to “confide” with him, whatever that was supposed to mean. It got really
weird, until I had Anna call me as an excuse to stop talking to him. But the
good news is that he actually came back when Hubert was there (I had told
Hubert that he scared me), and Hubert told the guy that there were hidden
cameras in the office, as well as throughout Kérou. So he told the guy he
better watch out! The guy seemed scared by this, and luckily no longer lives in
Kérou; he was just there for a few days. But I am glad Hubert was there to
scare him off. And he suggested if I ever had a situation like that again, just
to tell the guy I was calling Hubert, and start to do it. He promised me that
the person would just flee quickly.
Sunday, 19 December 2012
The last week I spent in Parakou,
which is the third-largest city in Benin. It is the town I went through the
very first time I was headed to Kérou. It is basically in the middle of the
country (north to south) but towards the east side.
Getting there is always—well like
traveling in this country, hellish. From Kérou, it is entirely dirt roads,
except for the last hour, when we finally hit pavement. The driver Anna (she
was one of the trainers for the week, but for her sector, which is Environment)
and I took was the same one that I had coming from Parakou the very first time.
At least this time, however, the van was full to a somewhat reasonable amount.
As in only 4 people per bench, instead of 5.
The guy drove extremely slow,
averaging about 20 km/hr (that’s about 12 mph) the whole time we were on the
dirt road. I get it, the road is terrible. But he could have gone a little
faster. Basically we a really, really long time to get to Parakou. And we
hadn’t left until 11:30, so it was night when we arrived.
We went straight to this
restaurant, owned by an Italian woman. She makes this incredible lasagna, which
tasted like the most amazing thing ever, after such a long day of traveling. I
mean, it’s pretty fabulous regardless.
The week was actually filled with
pretty good food. We got omelets and bread and butter every morning for
breakfast, as well as delicious pastry morning and afternoon snacks, plus a
good lunch every day. Dinner was on our own, and I got lasagna once more that
week, then mostly cheap street-food meals.
Training was mostly dull and
actually frustrating. There are obviously necessary things we need to learn.
But the way it is presented is in an un-engaging way. We have to do stupid,
useless activities. Then when we try to get a good discussion going about the
topic, asking questions related to our specific post and potential projects,
and giving and asking for advice, we are stopped and told that’s not on the
schedule. For example, the last day we spent four hours in the morning
completing a hypothetical “Project Design and Management” proposal. Just with
us and our homologue. (Like, what does Peace Corps think we’ve been doing the
last 3 months? We’ve all been discussing potential projects with our
homologues). Really, this would be a great time to have people get together
with other volunteers wanting similar-esque projects, and do this together,
discussing real—not hypothetical—problems and barriers we might encounter. To
top it all off, after lunch we came back and spent two hours basically
re-writing exactly what we had worked on in the morning, just putting it on
one, congruent paper. Sigh.
Also, this was even harder for
me, because Hubert—who is supposed to be my homologue—tells me a day before I
left, that he had to actually go to Cotonou to greet the mayor, who is
returning from Senegal. So he can’t go. And instead is sending this woman who I
have met once before. She is actually pretty cool and really nice. She is
involved with a project that makes stoves like the one I bought, which more
efficiently use charcoal and/or wood, meaning that women have to spend less
time searching for wood, plus it saves trees and cuts down on pollution. It’s
great, but it’s already an established project, and going well, so there’s not
much I can really do. Plus the whole week was awkward, because I don’t really
know her, she doesn’t know me, and both of us are kind of shy.
During training, it was nice,
though, to get into specific aspects, like Peace Corps has a “Gender And
Development” focus, where we can get grants for projects that specifically
target gender in communities, like encouraging girls to stay in school,
developing women’s businesses, or starting clubs where boys and girls can talk
about gender relations and relationships, etc.
Anna also came and presented on
“Food Security”, another huge Peace Corps focus. Although, her presentation got
mixed up, because she received an email that said she was supposed to come to
our hotel at 10:30, but then on our schedule was listed at 8. So Yves (my
Program Director) was presenting for a while, and I thought that maybe he was
supposed to, and she was only supposed to be there for the second half. But
then he was like, “Well, there’s supposed to be a volunteer from Kérou here,
but I don’t know where she is!” NO. ONE. had thought to call her text her when
she didn’t show up on time. After that comment, I texted her, and she told me
that she was scheduled for 10:30. I showed this text to my Associate Program
Director, who just said, no she is mistaken. Then there was just this whole
debacle where she ended up just having to come back at the end of the day. Oh,
Peace Corps. Your efficiencies amaze me.
We also went to two organizations
involved with Shea Butter. Shea is a product only found in a region in West and
Central Africa that is south of the Sahara, and extends only a little bit into
the Congo. People here actually use Shea Butter a lot for cooking. It’s kind of
a base for sauces, like we might use lard or something. (Which Anna has a funny
story where she bought a bar of Shea butter in her town, then proceeded to
start rubbing it on her skin, right in front of the women. They were absolutely
horrified. Imagine if someone in the States just bought some regular butter,
then started lathering up. Yeah, weird. Well, the story gave us a good laugh.)
Anyway, I bought some Shea butter to use on my burn, so that has been nice. Also,
my “homologue” (whose name is Salimatou), bought the scented Shea butter, and
mentioned wanting to see if we could encourage women to start doing that. One
of the organizations even offers training, so we could see about women raising
money to go to Parakou, getting the training, then coming back and passing it
on. So there’s another potential thing for me to work on.
We also went to visit an
organization that works with Moringa. Moringa is an awesome plant that grows
fast and easily, and has absolutely amazing nutritional value. Some people are
skeptical of its actual value, while others promote that it can save your life.
Moringa is really good in encouraging people who don’t get many vitamins to
consume more. But as with anything, one should be cautious to herald it as a
miracle plant. I think that Moringa is good but, obviously isn’t a fix-all
solution. People still need to eat balanced meals, be taught the value of
nutrition, and feeding their kids a variety of food as well.
I got to talk to other volunteers
about the frustrations and successes they are having at their sites. I feel a
little jealous, since most of them have had the time to actually build good
relationships and so on, but I feel like I’ve missed out. But I know that I
will just need some time to catch up.
One of the biggest complaints is
volunteers constantly being asked for money. By their host organizations and
even by their neighbors or other community members. One even suspects that the
only reason his organization wanted a volunteer in the first place was that
they kind of viewed him as a cash cow to bring in more money. He is frustrated
by the fact that the organization is completely unsustainable, and largely
relies on donor aid. They build ridiculous buildings and buy motos, and don’t
really care about accounting and budgeting, because they know if they run out
of money they can just write another grant, and Boom! They have thousands of
more dollars.
This is always hard. We need
Development to happen in these countries, but Aid, with the best intentions, is
often detrimental. Each organization provides maybe a few salaries in the
community, but might be unhelpful beyond that. People don’t learn to be
sustainable, and certainly don’t learn to develop themselves or their country,
and are thus trapped in this cycle of dependency. For some people managing NGOs
in Benin, it’s great, because they can sit around in huge buildings built by
the French, ride on motos bought by the Belgians, and use computers given to
them by the Americans. But for everyone else, it’s not so good. There are
organizations out there actually doing good and making differences in people’s
lives. But also many of them aren’t. And international aid organizations often
can’t or won’t send someone to actually work with an organization for an
extended period of time and see if they’re really putting the money to good
use. For example, this same volunteer was saying that a donor organization to
his organization wanted to see some accounting, which of course they have none.
So the donor sent an accountant to do this, his organization gave them some
information, and it was done. They got money. But they never actually learned
the importance of doing accounting, because now they know they don’t have to,
and someone else will just come in and do it for them. This volunteer
constantly tries to promote the importance of budgeting. His group asks him to
write a grant so they can get motorcycles. He says know. Then they just ask
another organization for motos, and Bam! They have motos. Le. Sigh.
We also talked about the gender
aspects we have encountered in our communities. On one of our trips, a
volunteer and I looked out the window, and counted the number of women who were
engaged in some sort of work, and the number of men. We found that almost 100%
of the women were working. They might be cooking. Or selling items in a market
or along the side of the road. Childcare. Carrying wood or water on their heads
(often with a baby on their back at the same time). But so many men were just
strolling around, not obviously engaged in any sort of task.
People often don’t see this. For
example, the director of the high school in my town believes that girls don’t
perform as well in school as boys because they are stupid and lazy. The reality
is that when they go home, they are required to cook and clean for their
family, and also take care of younger siblings. Then they have very little time
left over for homework and studying. Boys have a lot more free time. In a lot
of studies, women and girls are far, far more time-constrained then males,
especially when you include child-care.
Also, this has ironically led to
a belief in my town that there are far more women in the world than men. Like
people around here believe that the ratio is 70% women, 30% males. This, they
claim, is the reason that men MUST be polygamous. I have tried to explain that
this is impossible, because the chances of being born a boy or girl is, say
50%. Then, once kids are born, boys are a lot more likely to receive good
health care, and less likely to die. Also, in Africa there is a high rate of
maternal morality, which means women are more likely to die as well. So this
belief is completely unreasonable, but I think it stems from the fact that
women are more visible, since they have to go out and collect wood, take care
of their children, etc, etc. Men can go to their office or field, then just
come home and lounge.
I also don’t understand this
belief, also, because I went out to a bar one night, and it was ONLY men. Like
young men showing off for each other, each trying to be the next Michael
Jackson. I asked my friend why there were no other women, and he said, “Oh,
they can’t come until midnight or later, because first they have to cook
dinner, then clean up afterwards.” I really had an inclination to go up to
every single man there and slap them, tell them to freaking go home and help
the aforementioned women cook and clean, THEN they could all come out together,
instead of suffering through this awful sausage fest. Like really, who are you
showing off for? Why are you trying so hard to impress other guys with your
dance moves? Are you trying to sleep with them? I mean if you are, that’s cool,
but if not GET OVER YOURSELF. The problem is, however, that women do eventually
have to accept these men, maybe even marry them. Sigh.
So those were some of the issues
we discussed, and we talked about all the goings-on at our respective sites,
the things we were able to do, and not. We all had to present on our sites
formally, and I made some joke powerpoint slides where I presented on Cotonou
and the medical ward, since I was actually there for almost as long as I was at
my site.
The trip back was terrible, but
luckily there were three other volunteers with me. It was Maria, Anna, and
Will, who is a volunteer in Pehanco, a town two or so hours south of us. We
arrived at the station around early, to make sure we had a car. It was a little
Peugot, that is so common as a taxi here and Senegal, and probably every other
former French colony in Africa. In Senegal, they are called “sept-places”
because they fit 7 passengers. And THAT’S ALL DRIVERS TAKE. But here, no, our
driver waited (repeat: WAITED) until he had “filled” it with 12 adults, and 2
kids. This meant that we did not leave until late in the day. Then the driver
drove off, from the station, without us, because apparently the taxi stations
don’t actually let them shove this many poor souls into one car. But all that
happened was that it drove down the block, then loaded up everyone there. I
complained that there was nothing we could do about this. People allowed this
to happen all the time. We could refuse to take this taxi, but he would just
wait until there were more people to take our spots. We could wait until the
next day—staying in Parakou and having to pay for it out of our own pockets—but
it would still be the exact same problem. At first the driver said that Maria,
Anna, and I would all sit in the front seat. The front seat is seen as a
privilege, so I guess he wanted the white people to feel special or something.
But honestly, it’s uncomfortable, because of the gear-shift and dashboard, plus
exceedingly more dangerous. But when we asked this, he said, “No, I am going to
put 4 people in the back seat, and you are too fat for that.” We just started
laughing. Being “fat” here is a compliment, but still. Besides, according to
our math, that doesn’t even make sense: trying to put us 3 “fat” people in 1.5
seats (I say 1.5 because of the gear-shift), rather than putting us with one
more person to make it 4 people in 3 seats. Whatever. In the end however, he
shoved 4 miserable people and a baby in the back seat, then put us four white
people and old, bony Muslim man in the middle row. Then the driver drove up
front with three more passengers and a young girl. Trying to fit five people in
the middle row was quite a challenge. I was on one end and laid practically
sideways. Part of the problem was that Anna, Maria, and I all have hips, so no
matter how much “fat” we lose, our bones are not going anywhere, and thus we
never really could fit in this car in the normal world. Anna kind of sat
forward a little bit, then Maria beside her. The bony man sat a little forward,
and Maria swore she would have a very large bruise from where is bones crushed
into her thigh with every bounce. Will sat on the other side of the bony man.
The door on Will’s side didn’t actually close (probably from having closed on
too-full cars for the sad part of it’s life), so they tied it close with a
rope. We were off.
This guy drove a little faster,
but how fast can you really drive on roads that occasionally have holes that look
like moon craters? (I could actually be convinced they were made by meteors). At
one point our car started smoking. Like right beside the driver, something was
about to catch on fire. He couldn’t quite figure it out, so his solutions kept
being to open his door (which seemed to be the source of the smoke) WHILE HE
WAS DRIVING and look to see what was happening. We stopped a few times, and he
grabbed the wires (which are all exposed, of course), and sometimes wrapped
them with plastic from black plastic bags (this is clearly the same as wrapping
them with black wire-tape) or even BIT THEM WITH HIS TEETH. After a while of
this, he finally discovered the sources of the smoke, which was just some
door-foam whatever that was pressing up against an exposed wire. So he ripped
off the foam, problem solved, and we continued on.
I was so, so glad that Maria and Anna were with me. We spent
most of the time just joking and laughing about our ridiculous situation. We
all vowed never, ever to go to Parakou again, because it was the worst trip
ever. “Our social life in Peace Corps is over, OVER!” said Anna. (Because
traveling to meet up with anyone is terrible, terrible, terrible.)
We finally made it to Pehanco,
where we had to wait to unload some things. Then, after waiting there for 30
minutes, our driver goes, “Okay, now I’m going to get something to eat!” ARE
YOU KIDDING ME???? We just want to get home, please for the love of all that is
good. But he complains that he is so, so hungry, and there won’t be anything to
eat in Kérou once we finally arrive and I am just thinking, “Well maybe if you
had left at a decent hour, this wouldn’t be a problem now would it?” But, of
course, there’s nothing we could do, except wander around and look for a few
things we could buy, such as water or our own dinner. He takes forever, then
finally sets off. It was really nice, though, because Maria, Anna, and I had
the middle row all to ourselves.
There was one person up front with the driver. What bliss. Then we stopped to
load up a bunch of outdoor stoves, and another guy gets in. Then we get a few
more minutes down the road and just stop and turn off the car. “Um, chef, what
is going on?” asks Anna. No response, and he just talks in Bariba with the
other passengers. “Chef, chef, why did we stop? What’s happening?” asks Anna
again. The driver finally responds, annoyed, saying that he got a call that
another person wanted to come, so a Zem driver is bringing him. I responded, in
English “Not in this freaking row, he’s not coming!” [the back row was taken up
with stoves] (that is one of my favorite things about francophone countries is
that you can talk so badly and rudely about anyone and anything in English, and
almost no one will understand you. And actually, no one at all will understand
if you talk in really fast English.)
This whole time we’d been
complaining, and Anna had said that she absolutely refused to pay him the full
amount of 6,000 francs, or $12. He shoved far too many people in that car, and
was already making plenty of money. It was uncomfortable, and she wouldn’t
stand for it. She planned on only paying him 5,000 francs, or $10, mostly just
to make a point. At this point, we were laughing, and she said, “Haha, if we
really get this row all to ourselves, and the driver sits with four people up
front, I will pay him the full 6,000.” We didn’t think this would actually
happen, but we hoped. When they were about to get in, someone said, “Quick,
pretend you’re asleep!” And it actually worked. We actually got the row all to
ourselves, and four people sat up front. It was amazing. We were so happy for
this tiny luxury. So we ended up paying the full amount, despite the trying times
we had earlier in the day.
We finally, finally made it to
Kérou. It was so late. Oh well. I was so thankful for my bed and slept in so
late. Then today I just kind of lounged around and cleaned a bit. Although not
too much, because I hope my carpenter will come and put in the screen doors
soon, which will mean a lot of nails into the wall, and cement falling, etc.
But mostly I was too tired to do much. The work will start up tomorrow!
Monday, 17 December 2012
I will never, ever, ever be able
to eat another mango in the US. At all. Ever. Ever. Ever. I remember the ones
from the supermarket being hard, almost tasteless, ugh. But here, oh my, they
are amazing things. I bought one today, and when I came home to cut it up, I
had to have a plate under me to catch all the juice that dripped down. It was
warm from sitting in the sun, and one of the sweetest, juiciest things that has
ever entered my mouth. Amazing. And it is one of the things that makes me
grateful to be in Kérou. According to Anna, mangoes will be available for a
longer period of time than in other places. It’s not officially “mango season”
yet; they’re expensive. And by expensive I mean a decent-sized mango costs 40
cents. Apparently, during the full-blown season, I will be tripping over these
things, and so many will go bad before they get a chance to be consumed. And
they will cost 5 cents or so each. I’m not entirely sure how life could be
better than this. Minus the terrible voyage to get here, and minus the lack of
running water, oh, and the creatures that want to live in my house, things are
great, wonderful, fabulous, amazing.
I’m also in a good mood from my
most recent visit to some of my groupements. Today Anna and I visited two that
are close to here; Gouginnou (pronounced GWEE-en-ou) and Kérou-Wirou (CARE-ou
WEER-ou). We are trying to teach them a basic system of reading/writing and accounting.
Most of these women can only speak Bariba; I don’t think any of them can read
or write at all. But we want to make our projects sustainable. They collect
membership fees every week, and this is recorded, and the amount the group has
grows. But the problem is that once I leave, for example, then there is no one
who can write down how much has been collected every week. The women won’t know
how much they have in their group account, so they don’t know what they can do
with it, or if someone is stealing the money.
So the first thing we have done
is to give them all numbers. They don’t know how to write their own names, but
they can know, “Oh I’m number 7.” Then we are teaching them to write numbers,
but not with western numbers, but little boxes that are basically an
improvement on tallies. To make a box, it is four to a side, then I diagonal
line to make five. Each box equals five, so it’s easy to count. Although, being
from a largely illiterate society, it’s impossible to imagine how hard this
concept actually is.
I would originally think it’s
pretty easy. Bariba counting is a base-five system, kind-of. But the words for
numbers go kind of like this: “one, two, three, four, five, five and one, five
and two, five and three, five and four, ten, ten and one…ten and five and one”
and so on. Also, to count money, it’s a whole other calculation, because to say
“Five francs”, you say “one piece”. Then to say “fifty francs”, you say “ten
pieces”, and for “one hundred francs”, it’s “twenty pieces”. (I think this is a
French thing, because it was the same concept in Senegal, with the Wolof
language) The problem is, however, that I don’t think a lot of people realize
what they’re doing. They don’t realize that they’re adding or multiplying,
because they’ve never had a math class that teaches them how to add or
multiply. (And as a sidenote, even those who have had math classes typically
can’t add or multiply in their head, because the leftover of the asinine-French-school-system
has left nothing but rote memorization, so no one is taught how to add any
random set of numbers, let alone, “think outside the box”, which makes teaching
entrepreneurship here quite the challenge… But I digress.)
But the thing is that a lot of
these women have never even held a pen in their lives, let alone draw straight
lines. The results varied between good attempts to horrendous. One woman
couldn’t figure out the concept of drawing perpendicular lines, and ended up
drawing something that kind of resembled a shaky “m”.
Despite these challenges,
however, teaching these women is really an awesome experience. They are really,
really excited to learn. They are ready to try, and are so flattered when they
finally succeed. Also, the awesome thing is, that having Pierre is really a
godsend. I don’t know how Anna worked here before having him come into her
life. She told me she would basically bike to a village, and sit around until
the women of the group there essentially commandeered a young student, who
translated for her. Every day. But Pierre is wonderful. He has really embraced
the lessons we are trying to teach. He is so patient with the women. Plus he
understands where they might have difficulties. For example, we wouldn’t
imagine that it would be difficult to recognize a “number” made of boxes, but
the women actually had a hard time with this. So he has them review by pointing
out various numbers, have to draw new ones, and so on.
The next step is to teach them a
sort of “accounting for illiterates” which involves drawing circles of different
colors to represent various coins, then squares of different colors to
represent different bills. We’re going to go over the basics with the women, so
they can at least read the accounting notebook, but have a more in-depth
session with the secretary, so she can actually do a simple balance sheet for
the group funds. That is the plan, anyway. I’m sure to keep you updated.
Other than that, I also did some
things around the house, like a little cleaning, etc. I finally was able to buy
a large bucket with a lid (basically the size of a large trashcan) to store
water. This means I can take one day, get a lot of water, and not have to worry
about it for some time. Awesome. I made fresh-squeezed orange juice with a
juicer I bought in Parakou. I am really happy about that. I also will probably
be making Mango juice, which sounds fabulous as well.
![]() |
| Fresh Orange Juice!!! |
| Me with my new hammock placement I can sit indoors as well! |
![]() |
| My back kitchen area. I have my charcoal stove, plus the grill I just bought (It can flip over items all at once). I decided to just hang things everywhere rather than buying shelves. |
This evening, a few girls came
over to my house. I mentioned that I really enjoy my neighbors kids, who are
really cute, and also wonderful at entertaining themselves. The older girl who
was at my house, tonight, though, was one that originally that kind of annoyed
me, because she would just sit at my door and stare at me. I now realize,
though, that she was mostly really shy. She was here the other day when I gave Fafa,
my neighbor’s middle child—and the only one whose name I know, as people are
constantly yelling it—a sheet of paper and some markers, and she was just
drawing random lines. The older girl, though, was like, “Oh, can I bring my
school books here and study?” My response was, “OF COURSE YOU CAN!” I am the
only one with electricity in my neighborhood, so I feel really awesome when I
realize that this is allowing girls who might not have otherwise been able to
study to do so. Last night, she just wrote a lot of letters, and I was able to
help her by pointing out when she wrote “P” backwards. Tonight she was writing
letters in cursive, and sets of conjoined letters, such as “ba be bi bon but,
ca ce ci co cu,…, ma me mil mon mur”, etc. Then she wrote me a whole letter that said essentially (I
didn’t understand all of it, because I don’t think she was writing perfect
French, and as an Anglophone, it’s harder to guess what she meant), “Dear
neighbor, you are wonderful, and I just wanted to write you a letter. I wanted
to tell you about my [summer] vacation. I spent time with my friends and
(something)…” and so on. It was really sweet. I wish there was something more I
could do, like actually help them with homework. But it’s sometimes hard
communicating, because these girls don’t speak perfect French, or I’m possibly
hitting some cultural barrier, I don’t know. For example, I tried to help the
older-neighbor-girl (Fafa’s sister), who doesn’t come into my house, but
occasionally sits outside my door to study in the light from my lamp out there.
She was even studying English, but didn’t want me to help her study. I’m also
not sure if I can, I’m not exactly familiar with how to tutor, but oh well. I’m
sure I’ll figure something out.
As a final note, I would like to point
out that this is the season of “Harmattan”. This means that it is actually
getting cold. (I’m not going to lie, occasionally I have to put on more than
short-sleeves, and I actually sleep under a sheet. Although I am constantly
under-dressed compared to the Beninese who are going around in Ski jackets and
hats, etc. We’ll see how I am next year, after having adjusted to this Sahelian
climate; Anna now has bought actual fleece sheets because she feels cold! And
she is from New England!) Also, everything is excessively dusty, because it’s
been really windy. All my clothes get dirty really quickly. I really should be
sweeping out my house on a daily—if not hourly—basis. But I don’t, obviously.
I’m savoring this, though, for what I know is the impending hot season. It’s
not terrible, though. And it’s absolutely wonderful to know that “cold” means
only a sheet at night, and it’s still hot during the day. Yes.
| The sunset, and 'Harmattan' dust blowing everywhere |


Shannon, you're amazing. This is really inspiring, and I love reading about your life in Benin! It's so interesting hearing about the different issues women in Benin face & also the obstacles you encounter! & how do you cook using what your one picture has. I'm impressed ;)
ReplyDelete